Vegetarian Chili Packed with Protein
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Serves 4-6 people
- 2 tbsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 cups vegetable water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 scoops ESSENTIAL Protein Powder - Unflavored
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot, then add the "mirepoix" or the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until edges soften. Add bell peppers. Saute until all vegetables are soft and onions are translucent. Add a pinch of salt and stir vegetables again.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano. Cook until fragrant, about 90 seconds.
- Drain the beans and chickpeas.
- Add tomatoes (with juices), beans, and chickpeas.
- Add vegetable broth and bay leaves.
- Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add 4 scoops of ESSENTIAL Unflavored Protein Powder to 1 cup of vegetable broth. Stir until combined thoroughly. Pour into chili and stir.
- Remove chili from heat. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Want a less chunky consistency? Use a potato masher to mash the beans and chickpeas lightly.
Back to The JRNL - Health & Nutrition Advice for Women